Welcome!

Come read about my third trip to Washington, D.C., and my competition in the 2013 Scripps National Spelling Bee!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day Three: A Trek Downtown

This morning was the Round One computer test.  It had 24 spelling questions (half of which count) and 26 vocabulary questions (14 of which count, and 2 of those for 3 points each).  So from that, we get a total of 30 points.  Tomorrow has two oral spelling words, for three more points each (total of 36).  So the goal is to get as many points as possible - I want to try to make the top 50.

I'm not allowed to talk about the test, but I will say I think I did well...

Tomorrow night, the actual test I took will be available on the Spelling Bee website for you all to take as well - I'll have a link to it here.

Again, not much to report here... still no Herald Bulletin article (tomorrow?)...

Tomorrow, Rounds Two and Three will be broadcast on ESPN3 (online) at 8am and 1:15pm Eastern.

So after the test, we went out for the day in downtown DC.  We took a taxi to the National Archives, then walked to the White House to take pictures.
Us in front of the White House
As we were walking down the street directly north of Pennsylvania Avenue, Mom and Elli kept declaring that Dad and I were lost and going the wrong way, and then accused us of switching the buildings once we got there... ?

Afterward, we got to go in the National Archives to see the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

So then we had lunch at a Mozambican restaurant called Nando's, whose claim to fame is their "world famous Peri-peri spice sauce" or something.  Anyway, I was a little wary at first, but it ended up being pretty decent - go figure.

A gate/arch thing in Chinatown
After lunch, we took a ride on the subway to the Smithsonian National Zoological Park and spent the rest of the afternoon there.  Meghan, who was the only one who hadn't been on the Metro before, wasn't quite sure what to make of it, but we all got through it okay.

Really big cavernous Metro station
And now, what you've all been waiting for - animal pictures (and videos)!

I missed this, but apparently, there was a big gorilla fight over a tree branch...

So then we went back to the hotel, and basically as soon as I'm done with this post, we're going over to an informational Bee meeting.

Art.  (What is the deal with you people?!)  :)

Tomorrow, like I said, is Rounds Two and Three - and they're elimination rounds... wish me luck!

~Joe

2 comments:

  1. Great posts! Keep 'em coming. There is a Nando's restaurant here in Edinburgh that sounds pretty similar. They usually have a sign out on the sidewalk that says "Man Eating Chicken!" It's a good restaurant, here, too. Good luck on Wedneday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had one in DC that said something like, "we put the chic in chicken"...

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete