Welcome!

Come read about my third trip to Washington, D.C., and my competition in the 2013 Scripps National Spelling Bee!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day Four: Rounds Two and Three (Part One of Two)

The Herald Bulletin article finally came out... link here.

The spelling bee has some great resources at their site... here.  There is broadcast info, up-to-the-minute competition data, and speller bios - check it out.

The Scripps National Spelling Bee Flickr page - if you type "2013Speller73" in the search box, you can see some of me spelling in Rounds Two and Three.

Also, Dad brought along a "Flat Chuck", which is apparently a thing that WTHR Channel 13 News does, for us to take a picture of while we were here.  We did, and it was aired this morning (there's only about 35 seconds of actual picture, the rest is just a commercial break, I guess):



We actually didn't go anywhere today - we were too busy with the competition.  So nothing here today...

My evil twin Me (looking over my glasses) on the big screen.  That's a camera boom in front of me.
So - Round Two.  My word was "rejoneador" - I spelled it right, and got three points.
Round Three:  My word was "dudgeon" - I spelled it right, and got three points.

And, to answer the question that all of you who saw me in Round Three are asking - I was expecting him to say "Old English", so it threw me for a loop.
For everyone else, this is how my Round Three exchange with Dr. Bailly went:

Dr. Bailly:  Your word is "dudgeon".
Me:  Can I have the definition?
B:  A state of indignation.
Me:  Um... can I have... the language of origin?
B:  It is unknown.
Me:  *slightly away from the mic, quieter* Figures.

Again, I was expecting him to say "Old English", and I was briefly surprised.  But everything ended up okay.

Part Two will concern my results in the first three rounds, and whether or not I've made it to the Semifinals (2pm EST on ESPN2) - and I think I've got a good chance!

I should be back here within two hours...

~Joe

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Joe. Great blogging here, and it sounds like you're doing great in the competition. Give me a call at the paper for an update! 1-800-750-5049 ext. 4805. Looking forward to talking to you!

    Good luck!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete