Welcome!

Come read about my third trip to Washington, D.C., and my competition in the 2013 Scripps National Spelling Bee!

Monday, May 30, 2011

T+2 days: Monday

A view in the hotel's atrium
Today was a hot day, anywhere from 88 to 95 degrees (supposedly; I think it was hotter) while we were out on the picnic. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Today, we didn't have to be anywhere (and weren't) until 11:00. We were scheduled to go to Gunston Hall, the colonial home of George Mason (who I'm possibly related to), for a picnic and general fun day in preparation for the actual spelling, which starts tomorrow. (BTW, here is a link to the Scripps National Spelling Bee's Flickr page, already with 48 pages of photos!  See one of me--well, my back--here.) There were hot dogs, chicken, and ribs, bounce houses (we didn't go in those), mini golf (I think), crafts (such as decorated visors and necklaces), and, of course, the actual Gunston Hall historic site.
Me at the area of the hotel the Spelling Bee will be held in

The very long line waiting to get on the buses to Gunston Hall

Elli and I eating at the picnic

Elli and I in front of Gunston Hall
I also took part in a Spelling Bee tradition. Everyone is given a little bound book with everyone's name and picture in it; a Bee Keeper. Traditionally, you go around during the week, asking people to sign their page in your book.
Me signing a Bee Keeper
(Something weird I found - there were "EXIT" signs posted all over the edge of the tent that was clearly open. ????)
EXIT signs (on the bottom edge of the tent)
We took a parting picture of Gunston Hall and were bused home (correction: back to the hotel). Elli is currently out swimming, and I (as you may have guessed) am writing my blog post. Au revoir!
Gunston Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment